Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Bouquet of Chrysanthemums

It might happen anytime now. They are not welcome, at least not by me, but welcome or not they will come. They will spell the death knell for my blooming chrysanthemums. The pretty flowers will not be there to bid adieu to 2008 because the inevitable winter showers would have consumed them before that. Till then I’ll keep my fingers crossed and pamper my visual senses with the chrysanthemum(y) feast before my eyes. These are the pack leaders in providing the ‘second spring’ kind of look to my garden. The Giant Chrysanthemums require that extra bit of care and protection, but in the end the result is worth all the effort. The range of colors is amazing. They started blooming in 1st week of December and have kept the garden alive with their colors till now. Like in the past, it will be the winter showers which will herald the coldest period of the season here and pronounce the end of chrysanthemums. But, for now, it is a bright sunny day with the air fresh with the smell of Christmas just gone by and mood pregnant in anticipation of the New Year.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello, our Chrysanthemums have been gone and hopefully some of them will return in the fall. We are bothered by wet cold and occasional snow, but not too much yet. Enjoy the splendor of your beautiful flowers! Greetings from Germany, Andrea

Jan said...

Hi Green Thumb, Take in all of their beauty and keep it with you until the cold goes away and the warmth returns;)

They are beautifully colorful--I'm sorry you will have to part with them very soon--but that's the circle of life. Thankfully, more shall return to fill their place:)

Jan

Julie said...

WOW! What a color show!!! Thanks for posting them!!!

Aiyana said...

The red and cream colored mum is beautiful! Mums always seemed so old-fashioned to me when I was a kid because it seemed that "old people" always had them around. Well, now, I'm one of those "old people" who loves to have mums around! Hope you have a happy New Year,
Aiyana

Chandramouli S said...

Aha! Mums! Especially the giant ones are an eye-catcher and they definitely are worth the efforts! Hope the winter showers do go so bad on them. BTW how low does it go in Uttar Pradesh? Coz here in Tamil Nadu, winter isn't all about showers but just dewy and cold. In fact the mums love that, so we get a lots of mums during this season.

Matron said...

Truly amazing! I never thought that you would be able to grow such beautiful blooms in India. They are associated here with competitive growers up in the North of England where it is much, much colder.

Sue Swift said...

Hi Green Thumb,
Lovely Chrysanths!
Just wanted to say that I really enjoy following your blog, even though time problems have meant I´ve not been around much recently. And of course to send my best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Sunita Mohan said...

Oh, thats so beautiful! I didnt know that you get a share of the winter rains. How sad when you've got all these lovely blooms in your garden. But no matter how short a life they have, they're really well-worth it, arent they?
BTW, do you get these from local nurseries or is there a mail-order source? I've been hunting for one for quite some time now.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to see color and such beautiful blooms via someone else's garden. Mine is snow covered and frozen and just the memories are keeping me gardening in my mind.

Anonymous said...

They're so pretty! I never get to grow my own. It's nice to see those healthy flowers.

Bob said...

I am still in awe of this worldly internet thing. It lets you know how close we really are. Half a world away and I have some of the same Mums that you have. It is obvious you have good taste.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Bob here! Wow I love the oppurtunity that we have now a days to pick and choose where we want to go from visually seeing everything on the web! I mean I am quite new to the whole blogging game, but its really fun and interesting! I mean look at what we run into?!?
Blogs like these that I just have to comment on! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin