Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Little changes which make life more beautiful!

Before the blogging stuff came in life, life was like living on an island. The place where I live in does not have many people sharing an interest in plants and gardening. And, when you are left to yourself, feeding on information from boring magazines and your own imagination, productive ideas are hard to come by. But, thanks to the blogosphere, there’s inspiration all around. Almost two years and a thousand blog posts read down the line I feel that the blogging gardeners all over the globe are the creatively most accomplished lot. I have been very inspired and compelled to introduce little changes in the green cover at my disposal. It is a great feeling to savor even the tiniest addition or substitution one brings about. A couple of months back I sat wondering on the rearrangements I could do to keep my excitement quotient high, it was then that this neglected swing was decided to be given a touch of green with the help of Thunbergia Grandiflora vine. Then was the turn for some groundwork or some ground breaking work. With a little help from the garden help the area under the swing was modified to accommodate few plants; enjoy nature with life on the upswing, literally. I know I know that the iron supports need painting, but life is long and one has to have tasks lined up for that elusive ‘tomorrow’. This fellow was looking a bit sad. On closer inspection I felt that it was the slightly denuded look which was giving it an inferiority complex. A little touch here, a little touch there, some soil and some ribbon plant, the birdie is back preening and flaunting its feather. If its change you are talking about then everyone has to contribute, that’s what I made these turtles realize. Realize they did as they carry a turtleload of plants to its destination. The terra-coated Piscean also chipped in, albeit disgruntingly, with its contribution. Meanwhile I tried to create a dish garden in this oval terracotta pot. With everyone racking their brains to come up with ideas, my little one was busy wracking this – what was before her onslaught – a beautiful lamp. As the recent theme in my life was creation, I convinced the remaining base of the glass lamp to behave as a flower pot! The department of destruction is spearheaded by my daughter, but sometimes the weather outperforms even her. A stump is all what was left of this Ashoka tree after a particularly heavy storm; a little rearrangement and two hanging baskets made this relic standout in the lawn. The last time when I had mentioned this desperate modification the baskets had an empty look, but with the Sedums, ivy and pilea hanging out, it is giving a more satisfying appearance. Surfing thru the local market, I got these wall mountable stands. The place is famous for this sort of stuff and the choice was really difficult but I settled for these two. I gave them the pride of place in my verandah. Change is that necessary ingredient, the essential spice without which the dish of life tastes insipid, boring. I hope I can always bring about these little positive changes not only in my garden, but also in my life and world as a whole…

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is very satisfying to make a few simple changes in the garden Especially when you can reuse things in a new way or disguise a broken pot or a dead tree. A new look with a little clever thought!
I like your wall shelves, attractive even without the plants.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Thank you Green thumb for sharing all those great ideas with us. you have so many exciting plants/ LOL from Tyra

Julie said...

Oh my...what an inspiring post!!! Love all your succulents Green Thumb!!!!! I'm glad you got all your turtles to line up and do their share of the transporting around there!!! Good little turtles!

Chandramouli S said...

Beautiful words! Nice job on those turtles. They look so cute following each other and yea, the swan looks proud of herself with the spray of that fern. What shall I say! You have a lovely collection of terracotta. Never seen them here.

Sunita Mohan said...

Thunbergia grandiflora is a great favourite of the sunbirds. I'm sure you have at least a couple of them (literally) hanging around : )

Unknown said...

That's a lovely thought--about change not only in the garden! I love your collection of animal designed pots.
Somehow I've never managed to grow Ivy. The mountable stands look attractive.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I'm glad you found kindred spirits on the internet as gardening all on your own is not much fun. Gardening is something that we need to share with others, don't you think?

Love all the little changes that you've made as together they have quite an impact. BTW you don't have to paint the iron supports as rusty objects are quite the thing to have in the garden this season.

The little preening bird made me smile, as did the turtles and the pretty little fishy.

Anonymous said...

What lovely terracotta containers for your plants! And all so imaginatively used, too. But the Purple Velvet Plant (a vine) doesn't seem to belong in your dish garden of succulents.

Claude said...

Ahhh... I'm a little jealous. Here it is autumn and everything is beginning to go to sleep until next spring. I really like the terra cotta animals... we have nothing like them here.

Signe said...

Internet often giwes a lot of inspitation. Like this post for instant. You have a lot of good ideas and examples. I love the tunbergia, it is such a beautiful climber.

Sky said...

container gardening is something i, too, enjoy. we have to be careful, however, with our terra cotta here because the wet winters will cause them to absorb water, freeze, and then crack. we take our terra cotta pots into our garage in winter to protect them, so we only plant annual flowers in them and start over with a new batch each summer. our gardens are filled with perennials and spring bulbs.

the turtles are so appealing. wish we had similar ones here. :)

अलीम आज़मी said...

i really apreciate that u have gud skill thats gifted by God have to changing into nice views,
Sometimes it is very satisfying to make a few simple changes in the garden Especially when you can reuse things in a new way or disguise a broken pot or a dead tree. A new look with a little clever thought!God bless u

virender said...

I am a senior citizen & an avid garden watcher. I am truly inspired by GT's enthusiasm & ability to share her happiness by way of new ideas. I am determined to change my small vacant plot of land into a veg/flower garden. I am fm Delhi & am unaware of street names for various plants/flowers. my mali is as ignorant as I am. Any help fm Green Thumb?

Anonymous said...

Your blogs and ideas are really very exciting and indeed its a good place to share your joy with those who would understand it.I would really appreciate if you would go thru my blog and give suggestions.My little green patch: All the blooms!
http://antganggarden.blogspot.com

INDIAN COOKING said...

what a great collection i will bookmark this page....

Monica said...

I loved all your ideas of animal pots in the garden. I will try with them in my garden too.

Recently my daughter painted many small pots yellow. They brought about a beautiful change in the garden.

michael greenfingers said...

Winter flower garden plants can make a brilliant exhibit of shading amid the troubling months of winter. With little sun and shorter days, most plant development backs off to a lethargic slither. Deciduous trees look fruitless and bumbling, roses and other summer blooms have since a long time ago vanished and the patio nursery looks vacant and dull. cluster of winter blossoming garden beds.

Unknown said...

All About Indoor House Plants With name and pictures flowering plants, terrace plants, office plants and all kinds of details.
Indoor Plants Guide -All About House Plants gro and propagation Information


Shop hoa TPHCM said...

Hiện cửa hàng có rất nhiều dòng sản phẩm hoa chúc mừng khai trương khác nhau từ hoa khai truong giá rẻ, đến hoa chúc mừng khai trương cửa hàng, công ty, hội nghị, tiệc , hoa đẹp chúc mừng công ty…

Vòng hoa tang lễ đẹp – vòng hoa đám tang thành kính thương tiếc sẻ chia nỗi đau thương mất mát với gia đình. Hoa tang le viếng đám tang thay cho những lời nói chia buồn sâu sắc nhất

prasildas said...

HarithTharang has very unique theme for all its products, the theme is a mix of being ecologically friendly, innovative and elegant. The products cover a wide variety of natural materials including, coconut tree derivatives, bamboo derivatives, recycled home goods, recycled plastics and other such natural or recyclable materials. The shop also provides services in developing house gardens, terrace gardens, balcony gardens, kitchen gardens, terrariums and professional maintenance of gardens.

Apart from using ingenuity in use of materials and their application, HarithTharang has also devised unique programs to reach out to its consumers across age groups, for instance it conducts regular programs to invite and include youngsters, some as tender as 6 year olds to have excursions inside the shop and also allow them to carry out potting, watering and tending to plants, so that these children may have the "Green Touch" from attender age.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin